Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Copyrights in Education

Copyright is defined by the word itself; it is the right to a copy.  Benito Juarez, Mexican politician in the 1800’s, believed that the result of respecting someone else’s properties was peace.   It is of imperative respect that we, students and educators, and the rest of the world respect the copy rights and fair use rules simply because it is of ethical and moral character. Although fair use is allowed for educational use, it is hard to follow with its limitations.  In any case, an educator is not exempt from compliance as ignoring the laws on such restrictions is unjustifiable (Newsome, 1997).  It is straight forward; if we do not comply, it would be like stealing.  And the consequences are dreadful as high fines would be involved.   As an educator, I would teach this principle with my own example. 
When students spend a lot of time doing social networking, it is important for them not to reveal   their identity.  Cyber safety is important to avoid harm to anyone; this is done by creating a cyber name while online.  No other information such as home address, school location, or telephone numbers should be disclosed.  This may potentially protect everyone at risk from predators that attack online.  Cyberbullying is usually done on via facebook, cell phones, or blogs by allowing access to friends or peers who may post embarrassing pictures or quotes.  The best way to avoid cyberbullying is by always logging off any website and by not allowing personal access to user names or passwords.    
Learning about copyright was absolutely great! It is a topic I always knew it deserved respect, but I never thought it would be involved in my professional life as an educator.  It is of great advantage to know about the copyright and fair use rules and that there are guides for teachers to be well prepared.  Teaching is such a satisfying career, however it involves great responsibility that goes beyond a classroom lesson as students and colleagues expect your trust and honesty in every move you make, every word you say, and in every example you use you teach!
References
Newsome, C. (1997). A teacher's right to fair use and copyright. Manuscript submitted for publication, Educational Technology Leadership Program, The George Washington University, Washington, DC. Retrieved from http://home.earthlink.net/~cnew/research.htm#Teachers and Fair Use

5 comments:

  1. I never thought of copyright laws in regard to being a teacher either. After the lesson, it makes complete sense, but it was never something I had thought about. The information we learned will be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the best way to avoid cyberbullying is to not save passwords or give out personal information. I'm always scared to save my password on facebook because I think it will get hacked into. The internet is such a useful tool, it just has to be used in the correct order. GREAT BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always saved my password for FB and lots of other sites on my own personal computer. I have never been hacked, but I know that a lot of other people have been. I think we get a false sense of security on our own computers, but they can be hacked also. You can never be too safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed that a lot of people post their email addresses or phone numbers on Facebook. I've always thought this was idiotic. One of my friends posted her phone number...and started receiving creepy phone calls from a guy at the gym she exercises at. My thought? That's what she gets. I know it's scary, that's why we should use cyber safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you! Cyber safety is extremely important these days because everyone uses the internet. Kids chat and do other things on the internet all of the time so they need to be aware of the things they need to do to be careful and protect themselves. You should tell your students and kids to not post anything on the web regarding any personal information that someone could use to harm you in some way.

    ReplyDelete